Using the Visual Editor in WordPress
The visual editor in WordPress is a WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) editor. This content editor allows anyone to easy create, edit and format your content in a similar way to that of a word processor.
There is no need for learning HTML when using a built-in WordPress visual editor.
You must enable the visual editor in WordPress in order to use it. There are two tabs, HTML and Visual. Obviously, clicking on the “Visual” tab means you are now using the visual editor. If you prefer entering HTML code into WordPress, click HTML.
There are then two rows of editing icons within the visual editor control bar. These icons have different meanings and you can hover over any icon with your mouse pointer to get a “tooltip” of what the icon does and its purpose.
Visual Editor Row 1
When the visual editor is opened, it will display a single row of icons:
- Unordered list (bullet points):
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Ordered list
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Blockquote (a way of displaying quoted text; each theme will style this differently.)
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- Align Left
- Align Center
- Align Right
- Insert/edit link
- Insert More tag
- Proofread/Spell Check
- Toggle fullscreen mode
- Show/Hide Kitchen sink (enables the second row of editing icons:
Visual Editor Row 2
- Style> – various formatting styles defined by your theme
- Align full
- Select text color – change the text color
- Paste from Word
- Remove formatting
- Insert custom character
- Outdent – move text further left
- Indent – move text further right
- Undo – undo your last action
- Redo – redo your last action
- Help – display some information about using the editor, as well as keyboard shortcuts.
Alternate WordPress Visual Editor
The Tiny MCE visual editor is available as a WordPress plugin. The TinyMCE editor is a feature rich editor that can be used and is used in a number of web applications. Joomla uses its own flavor of TinyMCE. If you are interested in TinyMCE, Try it out!
Tiny MCE Visual Editor Screenshot
The Plugin adds the following:
- Advanced HR
- Advanced Image
- Advanced Link
- Advanced List
- Context Menu
- Emotions (Smilies)
- Date and Time
- Search and Replace