First off, thank you for visiting this WordPress Video Tutorial on How to change a WordPress theme. This tutorial will cover the basics of changing a WordPress theme and a few other things related to Themes in WordPress.
How to preview a WordPress Theme
Previewing a WordPress theme is simple. Previewing a theme allows you to see what your content and web site will look like before you activate the theme. Keep in mind that some dynamic content/scripting does not always show up in the preview window that WordPress generates while previewing the theme.
When you are ready to Preview a WordPress theme, you go to Appearance and select the Theme you wish to preview, either by clicking on the screenshot, or by clicking the theme name, and then selecting “Preview THEMENAME” in the top left corner of the box that pops up.
Installing New WordPress Themes
Most WordPress Themes come with explicit instructions on how to perform installation. You should always follow the instructions that come with the theme you are trying to install. A theme can provide spcial optional functionality that may require more steps than are outlined in this video. Sometimes, you may get a theme that does not include those instructions.
Here are some basic steps to follow when installing a WordPress theme
- Download the theme in .ZIP format (archive) and extract its contents. Do not modify the theme directory structure as this could cause the theme to not function properly.
- Using an FTP Client (such as FileZilla), access your hosting web server and upload the theme directory to your “wp-content/themes/” directory.
- Upload the themes files to the directory located in “wp-content/themes”. (i.e. wp-content/themes/mytheme/)
Activating an installed theme
So you have uploaded your WordPress Theme and now you need to activate it, right? You can also “Preview” your theme before you activate it as covered in the page above.
- Log in to your WordPress Administration panel (usually http://mydomain.com/wp-admin/)
- Scroll down to Appearance and then select Themes in the menu
- From the “Available Themes” area, click on the the title of the Theme (or the screenshot of the theme) for the WordPress Theme you want to install & activate
- To activate the Theme, simply click “Activate *ThemeName* in the top right of the window that has opened.
After you follow these steps, your theme selection should be active. Simply visit your domain and check to see if the theme has installed properly. Usually you will be required to setup and configure widgets, permalinks and other settings to get the theme to view properly.