Google Webmaster Tools is a free service that Google created for webmasters/designers/etc. This tool is great because it allows you to view and submit a variety of information related to your website. Google Webmaster Tools also has….well tools! You can check the status of your website and use the information provided to optimize your website for Google and other search engines. It shows you the top list of keywords in your website, and how those keywords are performing on Google.
It has tools that let the webmasters:
- Submit your sitemap – and check to see if it is correct
- Check and set the crawl rate, and view statistics about how Googlebot accesses a particular site
- Generate a robots.txt file
- Lists other sites that link to your site
- See what keyword searches on Google led to the site being listed in the SERPs, and the click through rates of such listings
- View information about how Google crawled your website